Since 1957, as the Moravian Unity celebrated our 500th Anniversary, the Unity Prayer Watch has assured that prayer for the work and witness of our world-wide Moravian Church is being offered somewhere in the world 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The Prayer Watch is a renewal of the “hourly intercession”, begun in Herrnhut in 1727 which continued uninterrupted for 100 years.
New Philadelphia’s assigned date and time for the 2017 Prayer Watch is January 2 from 4:00 pm to midnight. Starting this Sunday (December 18) there will be a sign-up sheet in the Commons Area for our members to choose their time to be in intentional prayer on behalf of the worldwide Moravian Church.
Please sign up for a 30 minute time to pray on January 2. We will share the list of suggested topics for prayer with those who sign up.
‘Tis the Season for Lovefeast services. We hope you can join us – see our schedule below:
**Saturday, December 24 – Christmas Eve Lovefeast & Candle Service @ 4:30 p.m. & 8 p.m.
**The band prelude begins 1 hour prior to each service
Please note the changes in some of our service times for December!
December 4 (Regular service times) 9 a.m. and 11:10 a.m.
December 11 (Special Music Program – One Service) 11:10 a.m.
December 18 Regular service at 9 a.m.; Children’s Lovefeast and Candle Service at 11:10 a.m.
December 25 (One Service) 11:10 a.m.
Am I My Sisters’ Keeper? A Report on the 4th Unity Women’s Consultation
Where: New Philadelphia Moravian Church
When: June 26, 2016 3:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Join the Unity Women’s Desk of the Moravian Church for a report on the progress, proposals, and stories of the 4th Unity Women’s Consultation hosted in Paramaribo, Suriname in February 2016.
Handbell Director Job Description
New Philadelphia Moravian Church is seeking a Handbell Director for our adult handbell choir. The choir plays 3-5 octave repertoire monthly at either our 9:00 or 11:10 a.m. Sunday worship service, and is comprised of players with a variety of skill levels and music reading ability. The right candidate will be able to teach effectively to people of all skill levels and lead with enthusiasm. A new director will begin leading regular rehearsals in August 2016.
The Handbell Director reports to the Director of Music.
- The Handbell Director is the conductor of our adult handbell choir.
- Select music appropriate to the needs of the worship service and the skill level and interest of the players.
- Schedule and lead all rehearsals for the adult handbell choir, coordinating setup with the Facility Manager, as appropriate.
- Schedule and conduct all adult handbell choir performances during the church program year, September through May.
- Prepare small groups as needed for hymn descants, accompaniments with the Chancel Choir, and other special music events as needed by the Director of Music.
- Organize and maintain the handbell choir music library.
- Oversee the maintenance of the handbell choir equipment.
- Periodically lead a “Handbell Boot Camp” session, designed to recruit and train new potential ringers for the adult handbell choir.
- Explore the possibility of starting a youth handbell choir.
- Rehearsal begins in August and runs through the May performance annually
- The adult handbell choir rehearses weekly on Wednesday evenings 5-6 p.m.
- Performance monthly at either our 9:00 or 11:10 a.m. Sunday worship service
- Special music presentations during liturgical seasons (e.g. Christmas Eve lovefeast)
- 5 octaves of Malmark Handbells with cases (last serviced Feb. 2011)
- C4 – G7 Suzuki Handchimes with cases (last serviced Feb. 2011)
- C3 – B3 – Malmark Handchimes (last serviced Feb. 2011)
- 12 Acrylic risers and 12 Handbell notebooks
- Attire (vest, gloves)
- Singing bell dowels
- Rock-a-bell (3)
- Mallets (full set)
- Permanently designated Bell Loft in the sanctuary
- Permanently designated Bell Room for practice
- 3 Handbell carts
- Knowledge and skill in directing and teaching handbell choirs.
- Knowledge of music regarding appropriateness for liturgical seasons and level of skill of the handbell choir members.
- Good communication, organizational, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
Send cover letter and résumé to:
Jessica Beaver, Human Resources Advisory Committee
New Philadelphia Moravian Church
4440 Country Club Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27104
Or via email: email@example.com
Review of applicants begins June 5. The position will remain open until filled.
Online giving is now available at New Philadelphia. We are excited to offer you a new and more convenient method of contributing to the Church. The Automated Church Systems Access PayPlus Plan enables members and nonmembers to give online through our website (newphilly.org). You may set up a one-time gift or a recurring donation. Major credit cards are accepted. The system also enables you to set up your account to automatically process gifts directly from checking or savings account on the date of your choice.
Continue reading Online Giving!