Congregational Council Mark your calendars for Congregational Council on Sunday, October 23 at 5 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall. Our annual meeting covers reports from church committees, reviewing our yearly finances, voting for new board members, and this year we will vote on updates to our Church Rules and Regulations.
Nominees for Board of Elders (vote for 4): Becky Beauchamp, Susan Cook, Evon Crooks, Bill Donald, Denise Hunt, Bob MacReynolds.
Nominees for Board of Trustees (vote for 4): Michael Crotts, Charles Galloway, Ron Vogler, Smitty Welborn.
Follow this link to the article regarding the Rules and Regulations: http://newphilly.org/special-congregational-council-re-new-rules-and-regulations/
The Congregational Council was convened by the pastor, who led the assembly in prayer, asking God to lead by His Spirit.
The Business of Elections:
- The Nominations Committee reported a slate of six names for four positions on the board of Elders. The slate was accepted and nominations closed. The Council chose four elders: Becky Beauchamp, Evon Crooks, Sr., Susan Cook and Bob McReynolds. (Denise Hunt and Bill Donald stood for election, but were not elected; their willingness to have their names on the ballot in anticipation of serving is greatly appreciated).
- The Nominations Committee reported a slate of four names for four positions on the board of Trustees. The slate was accepted and nominations closed. The Council unanimously approved all four names: Michael Crotts, Charles Galloway, Ron Vogler, and Smitty Welborn.
- The Nominations Committee requested nominations for the two lay representatives for the Yadkin Valley RCC. Jane Shore and Tim Ward were nominated and unanimously approved for the positions.
- The Nominations Committee requested nominations for 2017 Church Council Secretary. Nancy Holland was nominated and unanimously approved. We failed to elect an alternate.
The Church Council Heard Committee Reports from:
- The Christian Education Committee
- The Missions and Social Concerns Committee
Activities of Joint Board
The Pastor gave a brief report on the activities of the Joint Board, including the hiring of Michael Crane, and the call of the Rev. Joe Moore.
The Pastor asked the Council for permission to explore the purchase of a new Worship Hymnal. The following conditions were noted:
- Location in the Pew. Pew racks are small and would require a spacer.
- Number to be Purchased @ $12.00 (More than 50)
- Whether to retain the Red Hymnal: This would mean the new hymnal would go in an under-seat pew rack. A rack mounted underneath the pew in front of a worshiper would be obstructed when the kneelers are in the upright position, meaning that the rack would have to be mounted and accessed from the front of the pew upon which one is sitting.
- Whether to install a projection system as an alternative to a new hymnal. This option will be demonstrated in a service on December 11, 2016.
Rules and Regulations
The Pastor brought the new Rules and Regulations before the Council, thanking several members for their contribution, including but not limited to, Bruce Bradley, Marie Rodden, Joey Transou, and Earl Wall.
- The new Rules and Regulations will accomplish three things.
- It will be in harmony with the Book of Order of the province.
- It will be in harmony with present practice.
- It will improve our institutional memory, and assist our boards and committees in the performance of their duties.
The Council was presented with three options to determine the age at which Communicant Members in good standing can vote and hold office.
ALT 1: Communicant Members in good standing have the right to vote, hold office as Elder, Trustee, RCC Representative, Synod Delegate, or such other office as elected by the Congregational Council.
ALT 2: Communicant Members in good standing have the right to vote. Communicant Members in good standing who are 18 years of age and older have the right to hold office as an Elder, Trustee, RCC Representative, Synod Delegate, or such other office elected by the Congregational Council.
ALT 3: Communicant Members in good standing who are 18 years of age and older have the right to vote and to hold office as an Elder, Trustee, RCC Representative, Synod Delegate, or such other office elected by the Congregational Council.
- After a lengthy discussion, ALT 3 was eliminated.
- A written vote was taken. 97 ballots were cast. 2 for ALT 3, 49 for ALT 1 AND 47 FOR ALT 2.
- Attorney Fred Flynt spoke upon the legality of people younger than 18 representing the church to the outside world, as when the board approves a contract to build or to repair a building.
- The Pastor asked the congregation to compromise on ALT 2. Members of the Council were asked to Stand. The pastor declared a 2/3 majority. No division was asked for by the council when the opportunity was given. ALT 2 was approved.
- The New Rules and Regulations were unanimously approved by a voice vote.
- Additional business was called for, and there was none. Adjournment was moved, and the Council Adjourned.
This record was provided by the Pastor for immediate publication
Worth Green. Pastor