Handbell Director Job Description
New Philadelphia Moravian Church is seeking a Handbell Director for our adult handbell choir. The choir plays 3-5 octave repertoire monthly at either our 9:00 or 11:10 a.m. Sunday worship service, and is comprised of players with a variety of skill levels and music reading ability. The right candidate will be able to teach effectively to people of all skill levels and lead with enthusiasm. A new director will begin leading regular rehearsals in August 2016.
The Handbell Director reports to the Director of Music.
- The Handbell Director is the conductor of our adult handbell choir.
- Select music appropriate to the needs of the worship service and the skill level and interest of the players.
- Schedule and lead all rehearsals for the adult handbell choir, coordinating setup with the Facility Manager, as appropriate.
- Schedule and conduct all adult handbell choir performances during the church program year, September through May.
- Prepare small groups as needed for hymn descants, accompaniments with the Chancel Choir, and other special music events as needed by the Director of Music.
- Organize and maintain the handbell choir music library.
- Oversee the maintenance of the handbell choir equipment.
- Periodically lead a “Handbell Boot Camp” session, designed to recruit and train new potential ringers for the adult handbell choir.
- Explore the possibility of starting a youth handbell choir.
- Rehearsal begins in August and runs through the May performance annually
- The adult handbell choir rehearses weekly on Wednesday evenings 5-6 p.m.
- Performance monthly at either our 9:00 or 11:10 a.m. Sunday worship service
- Special music presentations during liturgical seasons (e.g. Christmas Eve lovefeast)
- 5 octaves of Malmark Handbells with cases (last serviced Feb. 2011)
- C4 – G7 Suzuki Handchimes with cases (last serviced Feb. 2011)
- C3 – B3 – Malmark Handchimes (last serviced Feb. 2011)
- 12 Acrylic risers and 12 Handbell notebooks
- Attire (vest, gloves)
- Singing bell dowels
- Rock-a-bell (3)
- Mallets (full set)
- Permanently designated Bell Loft in the sanctuary
- Permanently designated Bell Room for practice
- 3 Handbell carts
- Knowledge and skill in directing and teaching handbell choirs.
- Knowledge of music regarding appropriateness for liturgical seasons and level of skill of the handbell choir members.
- Good communication, organizational, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
Send cover letter and résumé to:
Jessica Beaver, Human Resources Advisory Committee
New Philadelphia Moravian Church
4440 Country Club Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27104
Or via email: email@example.com
Review of applicants begins June 5. The position will remain open until filled.